Niki's practice has been distinguished by its versatility, having successfully litigated a multitude of civil and criminal cases. Accordingly, he is listed in The Best Lawyers in America in an unprecedented six different categories: Commercial Litigation, Bet-The-Company Litigation, Labor & Employment Litigation, Criminal Defense: White Collar, Criminal Defense: Non-White Collar, and Mediation, being named Cleveland Lawyer of the Year for Bet-the-Company Litigation in 2009 and 2013 and for Criminal Defense: White Collar in 2012. He has been recognized as an Ohio Super Lawyer every year since the inception of the program in 2004, and for five years running was rated as one of the top ten Super Lawyers in the state of Ohio.
Niki’s trial skills and professionalism have been recognized by his election to Fellowship in the American College of Trial Lawyers in 1995 and by the Cleveland Bar Association conferring its William K. Thomas Professionalism Award on him in 2004.
In 1992, Niki was selected as one of the original members of the United States District Court’s mediation panel. Extraordinary success in settling cases resulted in heavy demand for his services as a private mediator, in which capacity he has mediated and settled hundreds of cases in the intervening years, including controversies involving hundreds of millions of dollars in dispute. His role in facilitating the settlement of the 1993 Lucasville Prison riot resulted in Commendation by the Governor of Ohio and the Ohio House of Representatives and Distinguished Service Awards from the Cuyahoga County Bar Association and the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers.
- ADA Disability
- Class Actions
- Contract Disputes
- Legal Malpractice
- Personal Injury
- Professional Liability
- Professional Malpractice
- Sexual Harassment
- Unfair Competition
- Wrongful Death
- J.D. (Summa cum laude) 1964, The Ohio State University, College of Law
- B.A. (cum laude) 1960, The Ohio State University (Honoraries: Phi Beta Kappa, Pi Sigma Alpha)
Memberships & Affiliations
- American Inns of Court (William K. Thomas Chapter), Master Bencher Emeritus
- Mediator, U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio Federal Court Panel of Alternative Dispute Resolution (1992-2003)
- Ohio Department of Education (Impartial Hearing Officer in Education of the Handicapped Cases)
- Referee in Teacher Termination Cases
- Ohio Eighth District Judicial Conference, Life Member
- Ohio Supreme Court, Rules Advisory Committee (1993-1998), Vice Chair (1998)
- Shaker Heights Municipal Court, Acting Judge (1978-1979)
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Greater Cleveland Bar Association
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
$475 per hour; subject to reduction for good cause.