Academy MemberMap & Directions
- Practice Commenced: 2008
- Total Mediations (as of Oct 2021): 275
- LIMA-VAN WERT
In 2008 after representing defendants and plaintiffs nearly 50/50 since 1977, I was first retained as a mediator in a medical negligence case. I continued to serve as a mediator on a part time basis through 2019. After nearly 200 mediations as a part-time mediator, I transitioned in 2020 to full time mediator.
I have mediated nearly 300 cases as of September 2021 and have mediated cases in person in Cleveland, Akron, Canton, Toledo, Dayton, Cincinnati, Columbus, Athens, Mansfield, Zanesville, Lancaster, Mt. Vernon, Van Wert and Wheeling, W. Va.
Since March 2000 I have mediated many cases (1) virtually; (2) via a hybrid of in person and virtually; and (3) in person (I was vaccinated in March 2021).
Lawyers and party decision makers from Ohio, California, Texas, Colorado, Florida, Delaware, New Jersey, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, Alabama, Mississippi, West Virginia, Nebraska, Minnesota, Michigan, Illinois, Arizona, Wisconsin and several other states have approved me as a mediator.
Types of cases I have mediated include medical negligence, product liability, medical device product liability, nursing home neglect, workplace injury, construction accidents, asbestos, transportation, hospitality, commercial litigation, eminent domain, premises liability, serious personal injury (including brain injury and quadriplegia), wrongful death, legal malpractice, employment, intentional tort, insurance coverage, school law, 1983 actions, political subdivision liability, negligent security, CSPA and defamation.
My 40+ years of experience as a defense and plaintiff trial lawyer including 50+ trials to verdict and hundreds of settlements (nearly all without a mediator) provide with a balanced, impartial perspective.
I do not mechanically mediate, but instead am patient, persistent, instinctive and intuitive after decades of experience as a trial lawyer. Just as no two cases or trials are the same, no mediation is that I mediate. I adapt not only to the facts and issues of each case, but also to the lawyers and party decision-makers at each mediation.
My educational background in psychology was valuable for more than four decades as a trial lawyer and has been as a mediator. The mediator role is much more significant that being a courier of numbers between virtual or "in person" rooms at mediations. My sole objective as a mediator is to do what is needed to try to efficiently facilitate settlements at a mediation. If a case does not resolve on the day of a mediation and I sense that it is in the best interest of the parties to continue negotiating thereafter, I remain on cases as a mediator for as long as it takes to try assist lawyers and parties to effectuate settlements.
Since 2015 I have been asked to speak on mediations frequently to various lawyer professional groups and associations.
- Civil Rights
- Consumer Fraud
- Contract Disputes
- Elder Abuse
- Health Care
- Legal Malpractice
- Libel & Slander
- Local Govt./Municipalities
- Medical Devices
- Medical Malpractice
- Nursing Homes
- Personal Injury
- Premises Liability
- Product Liability
- Professional Liability
- Professional Malpractice
- Professional Negligence
- Property Damage
- Railroad & Trucking
- Sexual Harassment
- Wrongful Death
Duke University, Cum Laude with Distinction in Psychology (B.A., 1974)
Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law (J.D., 1977)
Memberships & Affiliations
- Ohio Super Lawyers (2021, Alternative Dispute Resolution and Top 50 Columbus Lawyers List)
- National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals (2020-present)
- Ohio Supreme Court Committee on Alternative Dispute Resolution (1996-1998)
- American College of Trial Lawyers (2000-present; State (Ohio) Committee, 2009-2020; State Committee Chair, 2017-2019)
- American Board of Trial Advocates (1996-present; Ohio Chapter President-Elect, 2021)
- National Board of Trial Advocacy (Certified in Civil Trial Advocacy, 1997-2010)
- International Association of Defense Counsel (1985-1994)
- Columbus Bar Association (1977-present; Professional Ethics Committee, 1997-1999)
- Ohio Super Lawyers (2004-2020, Plaintiff Medical Malpractice)
- Martindale Hubbell Bar Register of Preeminent Attorneys (1992 - Defense and Plaintiff Medical Malpractice)
- Best Lawyers (2008-present; 2020 Professional Malpractice Lawyer of the Year)
$350 per hour for preparation, the mediation itself and post mediation activity
$250 per hour for travel