Academy Member Inducted 2021Map & Directions
- Practice Commenced2008
- # of MEDS (as of 22/9/23)450
- # of ARBS (as of 22/9/23)
Online / In-Person
- LIMA-VAN WERT
John Alton's career as a lawyer is almost equally divided between being a defense lawyer, a plaintiff lawyer and a mediator (or arbitrator) in civil litigation.
John tried nearly 40 cases at Lane Alton & Horst where John was trial department chair from 1985-1993. Areas of concentration included (1) serious injury and wrongful death arising from medical negligence, product liability, significant vehicular collisions, premises liability, political subdivision liability and construction accidents; and (2) legal malpractice, insurance coverage disputes and business litigation.
From 1994-2018 John Alton primarily represented plaintiffs in the same areas of concentration and tried 25 cases to verdict.
In 2008 John was first asked to serve as a mediator in a medical negligence case. Since transitioning to full time mediator in 2019 John has mediated hundreds of cases statewide and beyond with lawyers and party decision makers in more than 20 states at the request of defense lawyers, plaintiff lawyers, insurance companies, hospitals, political subdivisions, product and medical device product manufacturers and other individuals and corporate entities.
John has served as a sole Arbitrator in business disputes and long term care medical negligence claims.
Since 1996 John has been a member of the American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA). In 2022 John served as President of its Ohio Chapter.
John was inducted in 2000 as a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers (ACTL). In 2017-2019 John served as Chair of ACTL's State (Ohio) Committee.
Since 1993 John has received Martindale-Hubbell's highest rating of AV Preeminent in legal ability and ethical standards.
Types of cases John Alton has mediated include:
trucking / transportation
medical device product liability
political subdivision liability
nursing home and long term care neglect
insurance agent errors and omissions
serious personal injury
Since 2015 John has been a speaker on "Mediations" at various professional meetings of Ohio and national trial lawyer organizations.
- Business Dissolution
- Civil Rights
- Consumer Fraud
- Contract Disputes
- Elder Abuse
- Eminent Domain
- Health Care
- Legal Malpractice
- Lemon Law
- Libel & Slander
- Local Govt./Municipalities
- Medical Devices
- Medical Malpractice
- Nursing Homes
- Personal Injury
- Premises Liability
- Product Liability
- Professional Fees
- Professional Liability
- Professional Malpractice
- Professional Negligence
- Property Damage
- Railroad & Trucking
- Sexual Harassment
- Wrongful Death
Duke University, Cum Laude with Distinction in Psychology (B.A., 1974)
Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law (J.D., 1977)
Memberships & Affiliations
Ohio Super Lawyers (2021 - 2023 in Alternative Dispute Resolution and Top 50 Columbus Lawyers List)
- National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals (2021-present)
- Ohio Supreme Court Committee on Alternative Dispute Resolution (1996-1998)
- American College of Trial Lawyers (2000-present; State (Ohio) Committee, 2009-2023; State Committee Vice-Chair, 2015-2017; State Committee Chair, 2017-2019)
- American Board of Trial Advocates (1996-present; Ohio Chapter President-Elect, 2021; Ohio Chapter President, 2022; Ohio Chapter Membership Chair, 2023-present)
- National Board of Trial Advocacy (Certified in Civil Trial Advocacy, 1997-2010)
- International Association of Defense Counsel (1985-1994)
- Columbus Bar Association (1977-present; Professional Ethics Committee, 1997-1999)
- Ohio Super Lawyers (2004-2020, Plaintiff Medical Malpractice)
- Martindale Hubbell Bar Register of Preeminent Attorneys (1992-2020, Defense and Plaintiff Medical Malpractice)
- Best Lawyers (2008-present; 2020 Professional Malpractice Lawyer of the Year)
John Alton's hourly rate is $400 for all aspects of preparation, the mediation (or arbitration) itself and post mediation (or arbitration) involvement for review of additional written materials, phone conferences, email exchanges, correspondence and/or mediator proposals or written decisions post arbitration hearings.
John's hourly rate is $250 for travel to and from mediation venues outside of Central Ohio.
John does not charge for expenses such as parking, hotels, food, mileage, etc. for Ohio-venued mediations. However, if John Alton advances the expense to reserve mediation meeting rooms at hotels or other venues, those costs will be included on mediation invoices.
If it is necessary for to travel by air to mediate outside of Ohio, costs incurred for air travel, hotels and other mediation related expenses will be included on mediation invoices.